You have a small business, so how do you advertise? We love video.
Video marketing is a means of warming up leads, allowing potential customers to get to know more about your brand and products. One big advantage of video is that it can be ported to any social platform, YouTube, or your website. This lets prospects watch from their phone, tablet, or desktop computer in a variety of places.
We do business with those we know, like, and trust. Video marketing lets customers get familiar with your face, your message, and your company. Qualified leads grow affinity for your brand before they ever pick up the phone or place an order.
How Video Marketing Facilitates Business Growth
Video is the most recent medium in a long history of content marketing. There are a few reasons video marketing is so appealing to small business.
- Low barrier to entry. While you can spend a lot of time or money, it’s easy with Hapity.com.
- Easy to consume. With video, you don’t need to read, just press the Play button and watch. Video is not only found on platforms like YouTube and Vimeo, but also an integral part of popular social platforms like Facebook and Instagram. These platforms emphasize video, because video gets more engagement than text or text and photos alone.
- Video increases dwell time on websites. A recent study by Wistia showed that embedding videos on webpages correlates with longer time on page. In their study, pages with videos had 2.6 times longer time on page than pages without video.
- Watching videos is a regular habit for most people. 85% of all internet users watch videos, and there will be 232 million video viewers in the United States by 2020, according to a study by Statista.
Entrepreneur Alex Brown of The Beard Club, grew his subscription business into a $10M a year company primarily through video marketing on YouTube and Facebook.
While your goals may be different, video marketing can help you generate sales and qualified leads.
Content Ideas for Small Business Video Marketing
Don’t know what videos to create to promote awareness of your small business? Here’s a list of different types of marketing videos to create.
Every successful company has a compelling origin story. The perfect place to put your brand story is on the About Page of your website. Some components of this video should include:
- Why did you start your company?
- Who did you decide to serve by establishing your brand?
- What things do you stand for and against in your industry market?
- Were there milestones along the way? What obstacles did you have to overcome to get to the present day?
Putting the founders and other members of your organization on camera helps capture the emotion of your story, and makes people feel more connected to you. When people see your face, they feel like they know you, and are more likely to do business with you.
A video can be the perfect way to introduce new customers to a product, showing what it does. By highlighting the features of a product, you can “show not tell” how the product works. This lets people see what your business does, by demonstrating it in a video.
Video testimonials from customers are a powerful means of influence. It’s one thing if you sing the praises of your company, quite another if a satisfied customer does the same.
What are some good guidelines for creating a customer testimonial video?
- If possible, film it at the customer’s headquarters. Subconsciously, this helps tell the viewer that the testimonial is coming from someone who is using the product/service in their everyday work schedule. Filming on location is a visual cue that elicits a feeling of authenticity.
- Have a framework for the interview. By structuring the video to talk about the “before and after”, it highlights the positive changes that your product helped facilitate for your customers.
- Get as much footage as possible. By getting additional footage, you can edit any awkward pauses or places where they stumble over words to make the video smooth and seamless.
Behind the Scenes
Showing customers what goes on day today in your company can take them “behind the curtain” and humanize your company. A great example of this is Gary Vaynerchuk, who often shows snippets from day to day activity at his agency, VaynerMedia. Over time, the audience becomes familiar with not only Gary, but the other people who work at VaynerMedia.
This principle works not only for digital marketing agencies, but for all types of businesses. When people get a chance to see what it’s like to work with you from a behind-the-scenes video, they are more apt to wat to work with you in real life.
Industry Interviews, Topics, and News
No matter what vertical you are in, there is always industry news to cover. Many small businesses have a weekly video that summarizes the news in their industry, as a way of showing their knowledge. By becoming a trusted source of industry knowledge, it attracts customers who want to work with an industry leader who keeps up to date with changes.
Why Don’t More Small Businesses Use Video Marketing?
Many small business owners feel intimidated getting in front of a camera. The idea of people watching them may make them nervous. But, showing your personality through video is one of the most powerful things you can do to make people feel connected to your brand.
Now, when you first start creating videos, you may not know what types of videos will resonate with your audience. It may be difficult to create a script or talk naturally in front of the camera.
But, the most important thing in video marketing is to just get started.
By committing to a regular schedule of creating videos with a basic set of tools (camera, lighting, setting), you will start attracting customers to your brand.
Getting Started With Video Marketing
What are the essential components for filming video?
You can invest in a good camera and three-point lighting. But if you don’t have the funds for a professional camera, you can always start with your smartphone. The cameras in most newer phones can record HD quality video.
The four things I believe are most important for a well-produced video:
- A camera that can record in HD. This can be a professional camera or even your smartphone. Stabilize the camera with a tripod, so the picture doesn’t shake. If you are using a smartphone to record, you can purchase a small adjustable tripod on Amazon for less than $20.
- Adequate lighting, preferably three-point lighting. Cameras work best when they have enough incoming light to illuminate what they’re recording. You can usually get three-point lighting kits online for a few hundred dollars.
- A good microphone with a windscreen. The most important part of a video is the sound. Many people will watch a video with questionable visual quality provided the audio quality is good. If you are using a professional camera, there are external microphones that will fit your model. If you are using a smartphone to record, I recommend getting a lavalier microphone with a windguard/pop filter.
- An interesting setting. Most people choose a dedicated room or staging area to film videos. By having a “set” for your videos, you can make it look more professional by decorating the backdrop, or adding colored accent lighting in the background.
Video Marketing is Easy
It is easier than at any time in history for small businesses to get started with video marketing. By connecting with your potential customers, telling your brand story, and showing how your products improve their lives, you will increase your sales and extend your brand reach.